Friday, July 19, 2013

Refuting The Myths Around June 30

Myth# 1: State institutions worked against Morsi as soon as he became president

This is one of the biggest myths that aim at justifying the Brotherhood colossal mismanagement of the country. While it is true that the Brotherhood did not exert full control over a number of state institutions, namely the army and the judiciary, all other state apparatus were under their direct control. As soon as former President Morsi assumed power, the Brotherhood frantically worked on consolidating their power in the various ministries and governorates. Take Maspero for example, the state owned media empire comprising of many TV and radio channels. As soon as Morsi entered the presidential palace, Maspero did what it does best for the past 60 years: glorify whoever is running the country.

Even the Ministry of Interior, the Brotherhood might have failed to win the hearts and minds of the young officers, but they had enough control to sack the ministry’s top commander and appoint someone who they thought would be loyal to them. Mohamed Ibrahim, the minister of interior whom the Brotherhood appointed, tried as much as possible to remain loyal to his bosses until June 30 came looming. Days before the big day, young officers at the newly formed Police Officers Club announced they won’t be repeating the same mistake of the January 25th revolution and they won’t side with a political faction anymore. They said that they will not secure any Muslim Brotherhood (MB) offices and will just be present at the police and government buildings. Under pressure from his young officers, Mohamed Ibrahim had to choose between pleasing his subordinates or his boss. Days before the storm, he chose to please the former. It was a smart gamble.  The MB were not in total control over the ministry of interior but judging from the speed of at which they were extending their tentacles over the other government institutions I expected the ministry of interior to totally succumb anytime soon. After June 30, signs of their attempt to infiltrate the ministry started to surface. 3 high ranking police officers at the National Security department were transferred from their positions because of their alleged ties to Brotherhood leaders.

The judiciary was another institution that was at odds with the MB. To tame the judges, the MB was trying to pass a law that would have severed 3000 judges. Critics of the law believed that the MB would have filled the seats of the severed judges with their own sympathizers. I believe if the MB had come out unharmed out of June 30, the judiciary law would have been the first thing they passed to exert total control over the justice system.

The Ministry of Culture was another ministry the MB appointed a sympathizer to. His first decision was to fire Enas Abdel Dayem, the manager of the Cairo Opera House back then. His decision caused an uproar because of the popularity of Abdel Dayem at the Opera and among artists. The MB and their ilk were in control of the country’s most important ministries to the extent that they had the time to pick up a fight with the opera house manager!

So the belief that all state institutions were working against the MB is a pure myth. While a number of institutions were resisting their control, the others, especially the public service institutions, succumbed to the new rulers. The vast majority of Egypt’s state bureaucracy will serve whoever pays the salary at the end of the month.

Myth#2: the media was fighting the MB

That is another delusion. When the MB was whining about alleged media bias, they were basically referring to 6 or 7 private satellite channels. Here is a list of the media channels the MB had under their direct control: the entire empire of the state owned media (we’re talking about a wide array of TV channels, radio channels and publications), Al Jazeera, the MB owned TV channel and newspaper, the various religious channels and above all thousands of mosques all over the country!

The MB had all these media channels under their disposal yet they were unable to communicate properly and whitewash their disastrous one year in power.

Myth#3: Tamarod was created by the military

This myth stems from the news reports (here and here) that surfaced indicating that Tamarod had contacts with the army via a third party.

First, it is not quite obvious what kind of help Tamarod got from the army. It can hardly be financial because I’ve seen how Tamarod worked. It was purely based on grassroots activism. Everyone was encouraged to photocopy the petition and collect signatures and hand it over to the campaign. I myself photocopied 300 EGP worth of petitions and gave them to a group of Tamarod activists who were collecting signatures in Shubra.  I visited their official headquarters, a simple apartment in an old rundown downtown building. I saw young men and women counting petitions in the excruciating heat of Cairo because the AC was broken. Tamarod depended solely on people activism and the generosity of Egyptians who printed petitions on their own expense. And believe me, there were a lot of rich Egyptians out there who hated the MB and were ready to print loads of petitions and support the campaign financially.

Second, assuming that Tamarod was an army creation, I personally didn’t have an army gun pointed at my head when I signed the petition. No army soldier came to my house on June 30 and ordered me to take to the streets. The millions who signed the petitions and demonstrated afterwards did so by their own freewill and this renders any alleged Tamarod-army conspiracy irrelevant.

So this is what I believe happened.  The army sensed that June 30 might be big especially after Tamarod went viral. They knew that if the numbers turned out to be huge, they had to act and topple Morsi especially after their months of acrimony. It made perfect sense from a purely political perspective to open a line of communication, via a third party, with the movement that would later lead the largest gathering of Egyptians in history.

Myth# 4: Someone created the gas lines and power cuts to turn people against the MB before June 30

That conspiracy theory appeared in a New York Times report written by my Twitter friend David Kirkpatrick. Ever since I read that report, I’ve been sending David and the New York Times pictures, tweets and news reports of gas lines and power cuts that happened and continue to happen after June 30! Follow me on Twitter because I’m keeping track!

Wasn’t there a huge fuel crisis before June 30? Yes and it ended a few days before June 30! The crisis was caused by the massive panic attack that people which made them flock to gas stations to fill their tanks before the big day.

I fully understand that myths around June 30 will continue to arise simply because many people do not understand how millions took to the street to demand a military coup. Well, it just happened. Some political textbooks need to be revised.

Posted by BP at 11:03 am Comments (10)

10 Comments »

1. Hi there, its good piece of writing regarding media print, we all be aware of media is a enormous source of data.

Comment by cheapest web hosting company in india — March 4, 2014 @ 12:26 am

2. I leave a comment whenever I like a article on a site or if I have something
    to add to the discussion. Usually it’s triggered by the fire
    communicated in the post I browsed. And on this post The Big
    Pharaoh ? Refuting The Myths Around June 30.
    I was actually moved enough to post a thought ;-) I do have 2 questions for you if you don’t mind.
    Could it be only me or does it look like like a few of the remarks come across as if they are coming from brain
    dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting at additional
    social sites, I would like to follow you. Could you make a list
    all of all your community pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin
    profile?

Comment by www.bestbobbleheaddolls.com — March 8, 2014 @ 9:52 am

3. I’m gone to sayy to my litte brother, that hhe shoukd also
    go to see tthis webpage on regular basis to take updated from lstest gossip.

Heree is myy web blog … help hosting a 5k (Jeanna)

Comment by Jeanna — March 9, 2014 @ 11:05 am

4. Did not thought about this until now :)Yacon Syrup Extract suppresses the
    pancreas from breaking down starch into maltose and dextrin.
    It also can stop the development of alpha-amylase mineral deposits in
    the human body. Physicians occasionally recommend this to their subjects who are diabetes patients
    because the Yacon Syrup stops the growth of alpha-glucosidase located in
    the intestinal tract from converting disaccharides and starches into
    glucose. Yacon Syrup benefits also helps prevent sugar and carbohydrates from
    transforming into extra body fat by preventing the production of citrate lyase.
    Some medical professionals use Garcinia as a laxative to help with costiveness or other health purposes such as weight
    reduction, to reduce anxiety, depressive disorders, changes in mood
    and as a help to getting a superior night nap.

Comment by 100 percent pure yacon syrup — March 11, 2014 @ 1:36 pm

5. Helps regulate menstrual cycle; activaes estrogen. Facial care
    products are estimated tto move off the shelves aat a slightly faster pace
    than the market growing at 6% CAGR over the forecast period to reach an estmated AED 315 millin byy 2015.

To prepare your moisturizer, combine equal parts of a water
    base with an oil base, and add ten percent parts of ann emulsifier.

Comment by คิ้ว3มิติ — March 16, 2014 @ 2:35 am

6. Remember that any day where you get moving out is effective to you.
    While a simple men’s fitness outfit can comprise of trainers,
    a training vest or perhaps a t-shirt and two track pants
    or fitness boxers, a female’s fitness outfit needs to
    be designed around her softer, delicate frame. And we consume
    in different ways as we age; we consume fewer nutritional supplements that cause our metabolic process to reduce as
    our thyroid functions differently and there’s much less muscle mass.

Feel free to surf to my web-site Term return of Premium

Comment by Term return of Premium — April 2, 2014 @ 3:13 pm

7. First off I would like to say wonderful blog! I had a quick
    question which I’d like to ask if you don’t mind. I was curious
    to find out how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing.
    I’ve had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out.

I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are wasted just trying to figure out
    how to begin. Any recommendations or hints? Thanks!

Comment by cake topper for wedding — April 5, 2014 @ 8:37 am

8. I believe what you published made a lot of sense.

But, what about this? what if you composed a catchier title?
    I mean, I don’t wish to tell you how to run your blog, however suppose you added a title that makes people desire more?
    I mean The Big Pharaoh Refuting The Myths Around June 30 is kinda boring.

You should peek at Yahoo’s home page and watch how they write article headlines to grab viewers to
    click. You might try adding a video or a picture or two to grab people excited about
    what you’ve got to say. Just my opinion, it could make your posts a little bit
    more interesting.

Comment by www.almostaphysicist.com — April 6, 2014 @ 12:28 am

9. With compound movements the strain and stress is shared between many muscle
    tissues and joints. Although it will take time and a great deal
    of inner work, it may be done. You must also know the
    weight gain fundamentals that will aid you within your
    bodybuilding efforts for all parts of the body not just your arms.

Feel free to surf to my homepage :: shoulders exercise (Fidel)

Comment by Fidel — April 8, 2014 @ 2:10 pm

10. This post is actually a fastidious one it assists new internet users, who are wishing in favor of blogging.

Comment by Ronald — April 15, 2014 @ 2:53 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. | TrackBack URI
You can also bookmark this on del.icio.us or check the cosmos